Monday, February 13, 2006
Was Mary a Virgin? Did she stay one? Was Mary the Mother also Mary Magdalene also Mary the sister of Lazarus? Did any of those Marys actually exist? Should Mary be taken literally or metaphorically? Is Mary another manifestation of all the other Virgin Queens mothers of saviors/gods? Is she a variation or extension of Isis, Hera, Juno, Aphrodite, Ishtar, Esther, Persephone, and other Mother Goddesses? Is she the Statue of Liberty?
Mary and the Widow's Son will write on this topic soon, but til then, here's the syllabus. Do your homework.
- The Virgin Mary: Comparing the Catholic Mary to the Mary of Bible
- Isis, the Black Virgin
- Isis, Queen of Heaven
- Isis, the Virgin of the World
- The Virgin Mary as Goddess
- Virgin Births: The Immaculate Conception
- The Cult of the Virgin Mary in the Middle Ages
- Mary, Queen of Heaven, Goddess and Saint
- Mary: Is she Isis?
The Eternal Virgin is cross-posted on The Burning Taper.
Virgin Mary | Mother of God | Queen of Heaven